Aaron McWhorter grew up in Heard County, Georgia working on the family dairy farm. In 1969 Aaron graduated from West Georgia College with a BA in history and took a teaching position in Barnesville. During this time he also performed the duties of head men’s and women’s basketball coach and assistant football coach. In 1972 Aaron returned to work on the family dairy farm until 1985 when he started his turfgrass company, North Georgia Turf, Inc. Starting with only 25 certified acres of bermudagrass, NG Turf has grown to approximately 2000 acres with farm locations in Whitesburg, Franklin, Clarkesville, Calhoun and Fort Valley, Georgia. North Georgia Turf has established itself as an industry leader throughout the Southeast in providing high quality products and superior service.
In December 1991, Aaron started another company, Sports Turf Company, Inc. to meet the growing athletic field construction business in Georgia. Sports Turf has grown into an organization that is recognized as the preferred contractor for high quality construction projects for colleges and universities, city and county municipalities, and public school systems throughout the Southeast. High profile projects/customers include Atlanta Falcons training facility, Auburn Tigers, University of Alabama, Atlanta Public Schools, and the 1996 Olympic Softball Facility.
Aaron received a Masters in Education from West Georgia College in 1987. He is a member of the following organizations:
- Georgia Turfgrass Association – Past President & Board of Directors
- Tifsport Growers Association – Past President
- Georgia Sod Producers Association – First President & Board of Directors
- Georgia Crop Improvement Association – Board of Directors
- Turfgrass Producers International (TPI)
- Sports Turf Managers Association (STMA)
- Past Member West Georg Farm Credit Service Board
- Past Member 3rd District Farm Credit Board of Directors
- Past Chairman 3rd District Farm Credit Board of Directors (1988)
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs Board
- Georgia Water Advisory Committee to E.P.D.
- Urban Ag Council – Board of Directors
- American Sports Builders Association & Past Member Board of Directors
Aaron and his wife, Linda, reside in Whitesburg. They have three children, Mark, Merett and Natalie, all active in the family businesses, and five grandchildren.