Spring is well underway, but that doesn’t mean instant garden gratification. Cold fronts like Atlanta experienced this week remind landscapers of the difficulties of growing spring plants. But both landscape professionals and Atlanta homeowners can buy sod for an instantly lush, weed-free lawn. If you’re ready to skip 18 months of frustration as your grass seed sprouts into a scraggly lawn, it’s time to learn more about planting sod.
Choose a Turfgrass Variety
NG Turf cultivates thick, pest-free turfgrass for Atlanta homes and businesses. All of our sod is Blue Tag Certified, grown by skilled turfgrass professionals. Determine which sod best suits the practical and aesthetic needs of your yard. Zeon Zoysia is gaining fame for its excellent heat, drought, shade, traffic, and disease tolerance. Our Georgia-grown TifGrand Bermuda is the first ever bermudagrass to withstand shade as well as direct sunlight.
Prepare the Ground
Before you dive into sod delivery, make sure your yard is fully prepped.
- Test the pH of your soil with a home kit
- Replenish any nutrients lacking in the soil
- Remove any patches of grass, weeds, or wildflowers from your yard
- Clear the site of rocks, sticks, and other debris
- Grade, till, and add topsoil to your yard
- Aerate and roll the soil as necessary
Follow the NG Turf sod installation guide to guarantee properly laid turfgrass.
Care for New Sod
Freshly laid sod requires several weeks of special attention to establish and thrive. NG Turf runs its farms on tight schedules, ensuring the timely delivery of your Atlanta turfgrass. Schedule your turfgrass delivery early on the day of installation. If you leave your sod to wilt in the sun, it’s much more difficult to grow healthy grass. To lay Atlanta sod this spring:
- Choose an overcast day, if possible
- Pre-fertilize your soil
- Stagger sod pellets to prevent creating a grid-like pattern
- Water new sod as you lay it
- Roll sod to eliminate air pockets
- Water sod daily until it establishes (roughly 3 weeks)
- Do not mow your grass for several weeks
To purchase lush, healthy Georgia sod for your spring yard, call NG Turf.