Installing Dormant Sod
Similar to dormant trees and shrubs, warm-season sod can be successfully installed during the off-season, October through April. And with the proper preparation and care, in some areas it is even possible to successfully establish sod during the winter.
Low temperature injury is one of the main problems associated with off-season installations. According to the University of Georgia (UGA) Extension office, if you live in or north of Atlanta, it may be wise to wait until early spring to avoid low temperature injury to new sod. However, if you live in or south of Atlanta, barring an unusually cold year, successful winter sodding is possible.
Preparation & Care
Proper preparation is important for establishing new sod any time of year, but particularly during the off-season. UGA Extension experts recommend the following tips for fall, winter or early spring installations.
- Have your soil tested for pH and nutrients. Add any amendments, such as lime, sulfur, phosphorus or potassium, prior to installation.
- Till the area to loosen the soil down to a depth of six inches.
- Level, smooth and lightly water the area but do not saturate it.
- Install the sections of sod tightly against one another and roll them to increase root-to-soil contact and minimize creases.
- Extreme dryness, known as desiccation, is another dormant sod killer. Do not overwater, but do ensure the new sod gets at least an inch of water from rain or irrigation each week.
- Do not fertilize until overnight lows consistently remain in the mid-60s. Then fertilize with 1 to 1.5 pounds of nitrogen per 1,000 square feet.
The WinterGreen Advantage
If you’re planning to install dormant zoysia or Bermuda sod, you don’t have to wait for spring to enjoy a green lawn. NGTurf’s WinterGreen painted sod provides a striking green lawn from day one. Whether for a new home or for a landscaping project, the vibrant, natural color of WinterGreen adds instant curb appeal with lush green grass that will make your lawn the envy of the neighborhood.
- Green:WinterGreen sod arrives green and stays green for two to three months.
- Family friendly:The green pigment is nontoxic, making it absolutely safe for children, pets and wildlife.
- Eco-friendly:WinterGreen is free of harsh chemicals, biodegradable and 100% environmentally safe.
- Mess-free:Sod arrives dry and colorfast, so there is no mess, and the vibrant green color won’t bleed or fade.
- Convenient:WinterGreen installs like any other Bermuda or zoysia, with all the convenience of a dormant sod, but with no overseeding necessary.
If you have any questions about off-season sodding or about our WinterGreen product, please give our Turfgrass experts a call at 770-832-8608.
Need a sod quote? Request one anytime here.